Opinion: How to cope with reverse culture shock after a trip

At their best, the many study abroad programs offered by UNC are an instrumental part of the undergraduate curriculum, as evidenced by the countless photos that students post on social media in case their friends forget how much fun they’re having.

Though most students expect to face issues ranging from culture shock to homesickness when they first leave home, few anticipate that they could experience these same feelings when they return.

This phenomenon, called reverse culture shock, is described as a feeling of alienation once people return home from a foreign place, usually due to a change in their values or beliefs. And it is precisely because reverse culture shock is often unexpected that students must be reminded to seek professional help if their feeling of isolation becomes a problem.

In some cases, one’s typical support system, such as friends and family, may not be equipped to handle issues related to reverse culture shock. Talking to even the most empathetic of people may not be fulfilling for students returning from study abroad, since their friends likely only have a fragmented perception of their experiences — strung together mainly by a slew of texts, emails and pictures.

As a result, living abroad can lead to a kind of emotional cognitive dissonance, where students look back warmly on their trip, but are left miffed by the conflicting emotions.

If you studied abroad and are basking in the nostalgia of your life-changing experience while questioning what it all means, remember that seeking help from a professional is always a reasonable option.