He's Not to lose ABC permits for 21 days in February

The bar is one of two Chapel Hill businesses where authorities say Chandler Kania consumed alcohol underage before hitting an oncoming vehicle and killing three people in July.

Representatives from the bar signed offers in compromise Monday for the establishment’s three pending violations.

The ABC Commission signed and approved the offers in compromise Wednesday, which will suspend the bar’s permits for at least 21 days.

He’s Not has the option to pay a total of $15,000 in fines or to serve a permit suspension totaling 130 days.

Agnes Stevens, N.C. ABC Commission spokesperson, stated in an email that He’s Not has until Feb. 5 to pay the $15,000 fine the Commission agreed to.

If the bar fails to pay the fine before this date, then the full 130-day suspension will be put in place.

He’s Not had three pending violations that went before the ABC Commission Wednesday, each carrying the maximum financial penalty of $5,000 per violation.

North Carolina state law limits the ABC Commission from setting a larger fine than this amount.

UNC junior Meghan Eisenhardt said she has been to He’s Not before, and that she didn’t agree with the bar’s punishment.

“I feel like they are being harsh on He’s Not, but I guess it wasn’t unexpected either,” Eisenhardt said.

“I won’t miss (He’s Not) right now, though, just because it’s so cold, and I like the outside part the most.”

UNC junior Jason Calvert had another view on the bar’s situation.

“I think the suspension and fine are well deserved, but I think they should have gotten worse,” Calvert said.

“They have had multiple offenses and their negligence this time caused a tragedy which is unacceptable. If they really cared about the underage drinking issue, they would have put a stop to it after their first offense.”

@kerrrybear