Q&A with the Elvisfest founder David Quick

For David Quick, Christmas is on Jan. 8 — Elvis' birthday. For the 19th year, the co-founder organized and coordinated a two-day music festival on Jan. 8 and Jan. 9, called "Elvisfest," where bands and Elvis enthusiasts travel from all over the country to Bailey's Sports Grille in Chapel Hill to enjoy what Quick calls "best first party of the year." Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor Ryan Schocket spoke with him about the festival, his burning love for Elvis and Elvis' love of bacon.

The Daily Tar Heel: Tell me about Elvisfest.

David Quick: Generally, we try to put it around Elvis’ birthday. It doesn’t always line up, but we put it on the closest weekend we can. What we have is about 10 bands per night. They have to play some Elvis — they don’t have to play all Elvis. 

DTH: Why schedule it on his birthday?

DQ: When people talk about Elvis, they always talk about when he dies. We just went through Christmas, which is when Jesus was born, so I thought, ‘Why doesn’t anyone celebrate when Elvis was born?’ It winds up being the first, best party of the year because everyone is let down by what they did for New Years — it’s always too expensive and a let down. Next thing up is Elvisfest.

DTH: Why do you do this?

DQ: I was inspired in something in Chapel Hill called Sleazefest. I enjoyed the way they presented the bands and the different venues involved. I always make sure Elvisfest has two stages to ping-pong the bands. If you don’t like what’s happening in one room, you can go in the next room. No boredom. But, I do it because, hey, no one else was doing it. Everyone else was doing an Elvis death thing in August. I thought, ‘Nobody’s doing this. I’m just gonna do it.’ 

DTH: Do people dress up?

DQ: The bands don’t, but people do. My wife will be dressed as Elvis. A lot of women do. It’s a very unique crowd — it’s not just local. People come from all over.

DTH: What else happens?

DQ: At midnight, we bring out trays of fresh-cooked bacon. Elvis loved bacon. Everyone loves bacon. For everyone drunk and getting ready to leave — they get something in their stomachs. Everyone who's looking to stay eats bacon, and all of a sudden, beer sales go up about $500. They also bring out chocolate sauce to dip in if you want.

DTH: What do you love about Elvis?

DQ: I love his singing. He’s just a great singer. The first recordings he made are really fantastic. He could sing and comb his hair better than anybody.

DTH: What is your favorite Elvis song?

DQ: Elvis recorded 849 songs. It’s hard to pick one. I’d have to say “Mystery Train.” 

DTH: What is your favorite lyric?

DQ: 'Well, I tried everything to get along with you/I'm gonna tell you what I'm going do/I'm gonna quit my crying/I'm gonna leave you alone/If you don't believe I'm leaving, you can count the days I'm gone.'

@RyanSchocket