UNC track and field teams sweep Dick Taylor Carolina Cup

For the first time in the history of the event, the North Carolina track and field teams swept the Dick Taylor Carolina Cup in Chapel Hill on Friday and earned two team championships. 

Facing N.C. State, Duke and East Carolina, the Tar Heels proved their strength in numbers with multiple first-place finishes.

For the women, first-year jumper Nicole Greene came in first overall in the women's high jump with a clearance of 1.81 meters — which ranks fourth in the nation this season. Junior Emily Godwin took second in the event at 1.78 meters, matching her personal best.

First-year Katlin Sherman and sophomore Natisha Dixon placed first overall in the women's 200-meter dash and the women's 60-meter hurdles, respectively. Sherman's time of 24.24 and Dixon's time of 8.42 rank first in the ACC.

The UNC women capped the event with a first-place finish in the women's 4x400-meter relay. The team of Cierra Dunston, Kristin Hall, Jewel Christian and Dixon earned five team points, giving the Tar Heels' 60 overall.  

The North Carolina men seized the championship in the men's shot put, where redshirt senior A.J. Hicks threw for 15.97 meters to earn second place in the event. His finish handed UNC a 47-43 edge over Duke. 

Hicks also finished in first place in the men's weight throw, where his throw of 21.16 meters went four feet farther than the next competitor.

In addition to Hicks' strong performances, the Tar Heel men had five other competitors earn first-place finishes — highlighted by redshirt junior D’Monte Farley's 7.1-meter jump in the men's long jump, which almost set a personal record. 

Quotable

“We always want to see our kids come out and compete hard, and that’s what we had (Friday). I think I have a tremendous staff and our kids’ success is a reflection of the work that my staff is putting in, so I’m really excited to see that.” — Coach Harlis Meaders on how he viewed the success of both teams at the meet.

Notable

Sophomore Josette Norris took first place in the women's 3,000-meter run with a time of 9:47.12 in her first track and field event of the season. She also opened this past cross country season with a first-place finish in the Hokie Invite.  

Three numbers that matter

1: First-year Darryl Shaw secured his first collegiate victory with a jump of 14.95 meters in the men's triple jump, which nearly matched his lifetime best. 

.64: The number of seconds the women’s 4x400-meter winning relay team finished ahead of Duke.

37.19: The number of seconds separating Norris from the next closest runner from a another school in the women's 3,000-meter run.  

What's next?

The Tar Heels will host the Tobacco Road Multis on Thursday and Friday.

@jordymae012