Women's tennis player Jessie Aney hits stride against NC Central

The first-year from Minnesota has quickly become one of the North Carolina women’s tennis team’s strongest contenders, and she did not disappoint on Wednesday, as she led the Tar Heels to 7-0 wins over UNC-Greensboro and North Carolina Central at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

And while she dominated all four matches she played in, she did so effortlessly.

After teaming with sophomore Maggie Kane to clinch the doubles point against the Eagles with a 6-0 win, Aney came out with a powerful first set against North Carolina Central’s Jasmine Gabriel.

She was the first Tar Heel to win a game during the singles portion of the match.

Coach Brian Kalbas said the start of the match — specifically Aney’s hot start — was essential to his team’s victory.

“The first set was really strong,” he said. “We were going extremely full throttle.”

Aney and each of her teammates won their first sets 6-0. But going into the second set, Aney wasn’t even winded.

“I played hockey in high school, and now I don’t play hockey, so it’s like what do I do with my extra energy?” she said of her seemingly boundless energy. “I just bounce around.”

As the state of Minnesota’s all-time assist leader in high school ice hockey as well as a top-five tennis recruit, she faced a difficult decision going into college.

Deciding between her talents, she chose the best of both worlds.

“I am alone out there on the court,” she said. “And now I have my (North Carolina) team which is a great combo for me because I also love the team aspect.”

The Tar Heels have reaped the rewards of this decision.

As one of five Tar Heels who are currently ranked in singles, Aney holds the No. 68 ranking in the country.

Aney entered Wednesday’s matches with an undefeated singles record in dual matches this spring, and she kept that mark unblemished against the Spartans and the Eagles.

Junior Hayley Carter — who paired with Aney to clinch the doubles point against UNC-Greensboro with a 6-2 victory over Soumeya Anane and Amy Ellis — commented on Aney and fellow first-year Chloe Ouellet-Pizer’s energy and talent.

“(The first-years) have come out extra every day, and it motivates all of us to be even better,” she said. “It pushes all of us older girls on the team to try to raise our levels.”

Aney and the Tar Heels are looking to repeat their success from a season ago with a win in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Team Indoor Championship, which begins on Feb. 5 in Madison, Wisc.

UNC will need Aney if it hopes to defend its tournament title, but until then, Aney is just happy playing the game she loves.

“Hitting the ball feels great,” she said. “When you don’t shank it.”

@Kayleigh_Payne7