​Letter: Any UNC degree can be useful for students

I wanted to provide some hope to first-year dramatic art major Ash Heffernan that a bachelor of arts degree from UNC in dramatic art or music or any subject does produce real value after graduation.

My daughter Megan Ketch graduated from UNC with a B.A. in dramatic art in 2004. She now has a recurring role on CW’s “Jane the Virgin” and will begin filming a lead role in the new CBS summer series “American Gothic.”  

During Megan’s college application period, our family discussed the value of a B.F.A. degree at Cincinnati Conservatory versus a B.A. at UNC. As expected, the B.F.A. offered more curricular hours of training in acting than found at UNC.  

Megan elected UNC and graduated with a B.A. in dramatic art in 2004. Beyond her degree, she was able to pursue studies in French, folklore and literature.

Two years ago, my student, John Parker, auditioned for the principal trumpet position with the Charlotte Symphony — he won the post. This week he called me to share that he was appointed the associate principal trumpet of the Houston Symphony Orchestra.

Whether a student is at Juilliard or UNC they share one thing in common — each has 24 hours in a day. Megan and John maximized the artistic elements in their daily schedules for four years, but, in addition, they received a remarkable education that positions them, as artists, to have in-depth thoughts about the world in which they live. In the end, the humanity all artists seek to portray is best done from an informed vantage point.

Prof. Jim Ketch

Department of Music