Letter: ​McCrory should move ahead on pollution

Mothers & Others for Clean Air, a program of the American Lung Association of the Southeast, was disappointed to hear the Supreme Court’s ruling to put the Clean Power Plan on hold as the courts review the legal challenges, delaying much-needed progress toward the reduction of harmful carbon pollution. The decision does not necessarily need to delay real health benefits to our families and neighbors, as long as Gov. Pat McCrory chooses to move ahead with plans to reduce power plant carbon pollution in North Carolina.

Carbon pollution drives climate change that threatens lung health and safety today. The Clean Power Plan, which is the first-ever national plan to reduce carbon pollution from power plants, is critical in our fight against climate change. Meeting the plan’s original, generous deadlines promises significant health benefits.

Gov. McCrory, delay of these benefits would not only be disappointing, but dangerous. We hope you will continue to take steps to reduce carbon pollution from power plants by developing a strong state implementation plan, which N.C. can be ready to put in place when the litigation is resolved. The impacts of carbon pollution and climate change are not going away, and neither should our governor’s commitment to protecting N.C. residents.

Alison Jones

Class of ’95