Letter: Ways to vote in the upcoming primaries

As the March 15 primary approaches, recent changes in state voting law are adding an extra layer of confusion for North Carolinians navigating the path to the polls. In addition, litigation over the General Assembly’s 2011 Congressional Redistricting Plan may impact the primary schedule.

Whether the primary will go forward as scheduled remains to be seen. Regardless it is vital for voters to be prepared for an election on March 15. Under North Carolina law, the last day to register for the March 15 election is February 19. Students can register at an address on or off campus but will need to vote at the precinct that corresponds to their registered address on the day of the primary. You can check your registration and find your polling place at the North Carolina State Board of Elections website.

The early voting period during this primary is scheduled to last from March 3 to March 12. During the early voting period, registered voters can cast a ballot at any of the designated early voting sites in their county. The Orange County Board of Elections lists six early voting locations on their website. Early voting has the added benefit of allowing for same-day registration: voters can go to an early voting site, register and vote in one stop. There is no same-day registration on the day of the primary.

Although there is still litigation pending on the state’s voter ID law, whether heading to the polls during the early voting period or on March 15, voters will be asked to present a photo ID. Acceptable photo IDs include a North Carolina driver’s license or other DMV-issued photo ID, a U.S. passport, a U.S. military ID card or a tribal enrollment card. The address listed on the photo ID does not need to match the address on a voter’s registration. However, student IDs — even those issued by UNC — will not be accepted. Voters who arrive to the polls without an acceptable ID can still cast a provisional ballot. Provisional ballots, and accompanying declaration forms that explain why a voter does not have a photo ID, must be available at all voting sites. Voters casting provisional ballots must also either: (1) provide their birthdate and the last four digits of their Social Security number on the declaration form; or (2) present a voter registration card, bank statement, utility bill or government document with their name and address on it.

Early voting begins Thursday, March 3 and runs through Saturday, March 12. There are four early voting sites in Chapel Hill and Carrboro: Chapel of the Cross, 304 E. Franklin St. (right next to Morehead Planetarium); Carrboro Town Hall, 301 W. Main St.; the Seymour Senior Center, 2551 Homestead Road; and the New Hope Community Center, 4014 Whitfield Road. These early voting locations are open 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. on Saturdays. On Election Day (March 15), the polls will be open from 6:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.

If you encounter or observe any problems while trying to vote, call the national Election Protection hotline at 888-OUR-VOTE (888-687-8683). The hotline is available during early voting and on Election Day will be staffed by volunteer attorneys and trained UNC law students.

Even though the legal battles over voting rights continue, remember these important points, and exercise your constitutional right to vote: 1) register by February 19; 2) vote early if possible at any early voting location, but on Election Day go your assigned polling place; 3) bring your photo ID, but even if you don’t have one, you can still vote.

Brent Ducharme

Attorney-Fellow

UNC Center for Civil Rights

Maryam Al-Zoubi

3L Extern

UNC Center for Civil Rights