Opinion: Greek life needs to update policies for LGBTQ inclusion

These are queer times indeed. If this statement makes you uncomfortable, consider the consequences queer and transfolk face when we continue to ignore, neglect, avoid, kill, deny or otherwise disrespect their personhood.

In the state of North Carolina it is legal to fire or deny employment to anyone who is a part of the LGBT community. Yes, in 2016, because sexual orientation and gender identity or expression are not protected by an executive order signed by Gov. Pat McCrory prohibiting discrimination, queer and transfolk can actually be forced out the workplace.

Numerous public and private agencies include “sexual orientation, gender identity or expression” in their nondiscrimination policies next to “race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disability and genetic information.” When asked to justify this blatant disregard for LGBTQ rights and protections, McCrory said he would not condone workplace discrimination but would follow along in the same tradition of previous N.C. governors. Governors who, by the way, sought to define marriage strictly between a man and a woman. This is a travesty. A deliberate and crucial barrier to income, mobility, education and an affront to all families.

Recently, The Daily Tar Heel published an investigation on LGBTQ inclusivity within Greek organizations. Based off the 10 (out of 58) organizations that responded, many admitted to not having explicit clauses mentioning the inclusion of LGBTQ individuals.

While many reported having a strong culture of inclusivity, it is imperative that the Greek community not follow the example set forth by the governor’s office and include the clause “sexual orientation and gender identity or expression” in their nondiscriminatory policies.

Furthermore, the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life and Community Involvement should hold each member organization accountable by having a safe and very clear process for reporting discrimination. In the short term, Greek organizations will see a rise in quality membership and their impact within the greater university community. In the long run, these policies lay the foundation for the New Greek.

Why is this important? Obviously, sexual orientation and gender identity are experienced by everyone in and outside of the Greek system.

While we assume that Greek life intrinsically excludes queer and transfolk, this isn’t always the case. To stereotype the Greek community as an entity of exclusion rather than inclusion along lines of race, sexuality and gender, we limit holding it accountable, we overlook its potential and initiated queer and trans members and we also deny the ability of the Greek community to improve.

Without a doubt, there are members of Greek organizations who oppose the New Greek, refusing to include black, trans, queer, women, disabled, fat, poor or otherwise traditionally marginalized and excluded students. However, national advocacy has taken a stance calling on various institutions to include and provide care to these groups.

As we pressure Greek organizations to eliminate and prevent gender-based sexual violence, taking a step such as including sexual orientation and gender expression says to LGBTQ individuals that their presence and safety are of the utmost importance.