Opinion: Wilson Library’s hours are not ideal for researchers

UNC, we are constantly reminded, is a research university. Our core mission is knowledge creation. Everything else is second.

That is why it is puzzling that one of the crown jewels of the University, Wilson Library, closes at 5 p.m. every day but Saturday, when it is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. By contrast, student recreation centers are routinely open from 6 a.m. to midnight.

The University should explore options to keep Wilson open later, even just to 9 p.m., even for one or two nights per week.

Granted, the demand among students for rec centers is almost definitely higher than the demand for archival materials and rare books, and the University must, to an extent, respond to demand. So students, take advantage of the amazing resources available to you in Wilson.

Every valuable service the University provides obviously has costs tied to it, and the University should not spend more lightly. Nonetheless, on a campus that spent nearly $2 million on a public relations firm specializing in “corporate reputation management,” it seems reasonable to ask for longer hours.

Wilson’s hours make it difficult for researchers with classes and other responsibilities to access the treasure trove there.

Within Wilson, you can find an original tape of Martin Luther King Jr. in Birmingham, Ala., in 1963 and album artwork proofs for Arcade Fire.

Don’t be intimidated by the majesty of the building. The archivists and librarians who work there are friendly, immensely knowledgeable, and they want to help you.

UNC, ensure students have the opportunities they need to better explore the untapped knowledge waiting for them within.