Paul earns 400th win for UNC men’s tennis

Coach Sam Paul looks on during No. 7 UNC Men's Tennis team's victory over No.5 Oklahoma 4-3 Sunday afternoon.

Monday afternoon, Schneider and the Tar Heels did just that. UNC beat both Campbell and N.C. Central 7-0 at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center to give Paul his 400th and 401st victories as UNC’s coach.

“I thought it would be really cool to get him to another milestone, and to do it as the No. 1 team in the country. I think he’ll always remember that, and I definitely think this is a season he’ll never forget,” Schneider said.

A stellar performance in both singles and doubles play propelled the Tar Heels to an easy 7-0 win over Campbell in their first outdoor match of the season.

The Tar Heels would continue the momentum against N.C. Central indoors, also defeating them 7-0.

“I’ve had a lot of help to get me to this 400th win,” Paul said after the game.

“Tripp (Phillips), the University of North Carolina and all the great players that have come and gone have helped get here. I’m very fortunate to be here.”

Prior to Monday’s doubleheader, Paul, the winningest active coach in the ACC, had amassed 399 total wins during his tenure that dates back to 1993.

Twelve of those, including an Intercollegiate Tennis Association Championship, have come this season for the No. 1 Tar Heels.

During Paul’s coaching career, the Tar Heels have won four regular-season ACC Championships, three ACC Tournament Championships and have been to the NCAA Tournament in 18 of the last 19 years.

On an individual level, Paul is a six-time ACC coach of the year winner and a four-time ITA national coach of the year finalist.

“Coach (Paul) is an unbelievable fighter and a tremendous competitor,” senior Stuart DePaolo said. “My greatest memory of him is that he never forgets about our long-term goal, not only in tennis, but who we are as people, and he thinks that is more important. I’ve always appreciated that.”

Paul reflected on a lot of great memories he shared with the team since 1993, like winning the ITA Championship a couple of weeks ago, along with beating Georgia in Athens in the NCAA Tournament in 2014, beating Illinois in the Sweet 16 in 2015 and many, many more.

Schneider said he and the team hope to give him some more to add to that list.

“We’re just trying to keep it going, give him more and get him on his way to 500 much quicker.”

@BrandonWhite95