Perfect ACC season not in the Cards for UNC men's basketball

After forcing the Cardinals into a shot-clock violation, Paige and the Tar Heels had the chance to open up the scoring and take the first lead of the night. The 6-foot-2 senior positioned the ball, elevated and let it fly.

But it didn’t go in.

That first possession foreshadowed the 72 that would follow for UNC and what was to come for the Tar Heels, as Damion Lee and the Cardinals ended UNC’s 12-game winning streak with a 71-65 victory in the KFC Yum! Center.

UNC shot below 40 percent from the field for the fourth time in five games and lost for the first time in that same period. The Tar Heels couldn’t do enough — rebounding, limiting turnovers or getting points in the paint — to make up for it.

“They were just active,” said sophomore Joel Berry about Louisville’s defense. “They were switching from a man to a zone in the same possession, so it’s kind of like just them flying around. We had some opportunities at the basket, and we didn’t capitalize on it.”

The Cardinals length, their multi-look defense and their aggressiveness in denying the ball to UNC’s big men down low resulted in Brice Johnson and Kennedy Meeks combining for just 10 field goal attempts.

“They’ve got some big physical guys down low with good length that can affect a lot of those shots (near the basket) that I was talking about us getting,” Paige said. “That’s one thing that makes them tough is when you do get the ball inside they’ve got guys that can challenge the ball at the rim.”

That’s how Louisville managed five blocks on the night and held UNC to just 28 points in the paint compared to its 36. And when the buckets aren’t coming easily inside, naturally, you glance to the perimeter and see if things are looking any better there.

But it’s not a pretty picture — far from it.

The Tar Heels made three of 17 3-point attempts. One each for Paige, Berry and Nate Britt. Combined, the three guards shot just 5-for-26 from the field and 3-for-13 from long range.

It’s become a regular occurrence for Paige over the past several games, and with the senior shooting 3-for-13 on Monday, you could feel the frustration seeping into Coach Roy Williams’ press conference.

“I’m not getting on him, but damn. He hasn’t shot worth a freakity frank for four or five games,” Williams said. “Am I supposed to put him out and send him to Siberia?”

No, of course not. But that’s where Berry comes in, right? The sophomore entered Monday scoring 12.6 points per game, shooting 43.4 percent from the field and a team-best 38.1 percent on 3-pointers.

Down four points with just over a minute to play, surely Berry would come up big, as he has multiple times this season.

He got the ball with space on the right corner of the 3-point line, just in front of UNC’s bench, then elevated and it let fly.

“Joel Berry’s been shooting pretty doggone well,” Williams said. “And he’s 1-for-10 tonight and 1-for-5 from three. It was a one-possession game if Joel Berry’s three goes in ... It didn’t go in.”

@CarlosACollazo