Students respond to Chase Rice Jubilee decision

Christina Townsend

Senior

Communication Studies major

Especially as a senior, this is my last concert opportunity while I’m a student, so for me this was kind of a big deal, and then for them to say that it’s Chase Rice, while that was not what any of us wanted or expected or waited for, I think it was very misleading and it makes me question — like those are student funds. Our fees pay those funds that CUAB is using for Chase Rice, so like one, why didn’t we get a more direct say, and two, why isn’t Chase Rice performing for free, as a Carolina alumni. I feel like we shouldn’t have to pay for concert tickets for someone who went here. And if we’re going off of Carolina alumni, I know many artists who are Carolina alumni who would be more inclusive to all communities at Carolina.

Sammy Said

Senior

Economics major

I think it was all about money. Obviously it’s more expensive to get Fetty Wap, so they got Chase Rice. Not happy about it.

Alex Simpson

Senior

Exercise and Sport Science major

Honestly, I don’t really care too much, but Chase Rice is definitely less hype than any of the rappers would be. That would have been pretty fun if they brought Fetty Wap in. I think it would have been a lot better of a turnout at Jubilee. I think a lot more students would have gone.

I think the white-girl sorority demographic is going to be the largest to turnout.

Osaru Mwense Onaiwu

Junior

Biology major

I feel like it’ll be a really weird transition though with the artists that performed last year to this year, but I’m always open for new surprises.

Paityn Lugo

First-year

Biology and Romance Language double major

I’m kind of surprised that they picked Chase Rice, but I’m a huge country fan, so I’m really excited and that’s a very unpopular opinion. I really like country concerts — I like the vibe of them, they’re really laid back, but they’re there to entertain you.

Jordan Skinner

Sophomore

Physics major

I was kind of hoping it was going to be Twenty One Pilots, because I love that band a lot. Maybe I’ll check out his stuff, maybe it will be something interesting.