Students take a risk for better Duke-UNC seats

Students clustered together, trying to find ways to pass the time. Some napped while others did homework or ordered pizza and played with UNC-themed poker cards while waiting for the Duke-UNC basketball game.

The line for Phase 1 student entry was randomized because of the overwhelming interest in the game and because of students’ safety, according to Carolina Athletics in an email.

Randomization discourages students from camping out to receive the best spots in line.

With this structure, students started lining up outside of the Smith Center beginning at noon. At 1 p.m., all Phase 1 ticket holders in place at that time were randomized using numbered wristbands and a random number generator.

Senior Wesley Roten, a Phase 1 ticket holder, said randomization benefited him, but he could see how it would be frustrating for some.

“We were in the front of the line, and when Roy (Williams) picked the number, only 70 people were moved in front of us ... I high-fived him and touched his championship ring,” Roten said.

Sophomore Brandon Feaster said he got his Phase 1 ticket by being one of the top 150 point holders in Carolina Fever members.

“I absolutely hate randomization. I feel like it should be like whoever wants to put the most work into it because last year we sat out here all night. We were literally one through six and ended up being in the back of the risers,” Feaster said.

Feaster said that he would much rather camp out for tickets, like students do in Duke University’s Krzyzewskiville. UNC does not allow its student to camp out for games.

“As much as I don’t want to take things from Duke, it shows the commitment, but maybe like camping out for months on end is a little much,” Feaster said.

Phase 1 ticket holder Carlton Price, a third year law student, said randomization worked out for him.

“I think that everybody that was here at the time of the randomization got into the phase they wanted to,” Price said.

Senior Maggie Cerciello had a Phase 2 ticket and said that she was glad that her phase wasn’t randomized.

“I think (camping out) is fun,” Cerciello said. “I think it’s all about the experience really, so I think that camping out would be a really fun way to bond with people.”

Tim Sabo, assistant athletic director for ticket operations, said that last year ticket randomization occurred for multiple games, but this year it’s only been used for the Duke game.

Sabo said that he’s heard differing opinions on randomization from students, but that student passion for the game is evident.

“Waiting’s been rough. It’s tough to get comfortable and all,” Feaster said. “But oh well — it’s worth it.”