Students weigh in: what motivated you to vote or not vote?

On Tuesday, students could log into the Student Life website to vote for a new student body president, among other positions. Staff Writer Emily Wakeman asked students in the Pit what motivated them to vote or not vote in the elections.

Jackson Triplett, senior

“I suppose I’m probably not going to vote. But that is largely my fault for not investigating enough and not being educated on the topics.”

Lydia Tolley, sophomore

“I haven’t voted yet, but I definitely am going to vote later to make a difference for the campus.”

Shristi Tiwari, senior 

“Well I didn’t vote today and that’s probably because I’ve had no time, and that’s it.”

Charlie Brown, sophomore 

“I haven’t voted yet, and I’m motivated to vote because one of my friends is running … It's just hard to be that motivated to vote because I don’t understand the importance of the election because it’s just not really publicized.”

CJ Reguyal, sophomore 

“I have not voted. I’m thinking about it but I’m not sure. I don’t think I really know that much about the candidates, and I don’t think that is their fault. Obviously they have been active about campaigning and stuff like that."

Chuhan Wu, senior 

“I didn’t vote today... I didn’t really know about the voting, the campaigns. So I feel like if I do vote it will be a random choice for me, so I didn’t do it because the information I got is just so little.”

Alex Penner, sophomore 

“I’m actually not entirely sure of who I am going to vote for for the office positions, although I did get an email from a graduate student encouraging me to vote for the referendum that I guess separates the student bodies, so I’m going to vote for that just because I know about it."

Katie Krysiak, senior 

“Knowing who my friends were supporting.”

Maddie Price, senior 

“I didn’t vote in today’s election because I just haven’t learned about the candidates very much, so I didn’t want to make an uneducated vote.”