The background checks required for some volunteers are expensive

Many volunteers are required to undergo background checks before they are able to participate, and background checks cost money — as much as $50 per person per year.

Juliana Ritter, co-president of the Campus Y, said the cost of the background checks is causing challenges for the Y, where more than half of the committees work with kids.

“Absolutely, to an extent, background checks are necessary and good, but if they really were ... this serious about it, they should front those costs or work with us and not leave it up to us,” Ritter said.

Christopher Payne, associate vice chancellor for student affairs, said in an email that while there are occasions when students have to pay for background checks, usually departments try to cover these fees.

“Most all departments and units across the University that sponsor or support activities that require background checks include these expenses in their operating budgets,” Payne said.

Payne said if students are required to have a background check, they can contact the sponsoring department or unit to clarify who is responsible for the background check and any associated costs.

The volunteer programs that require background checks are primarily programs involving minors, Payne said.

Protection of Minors Coordinator Starr Barbaro said the current policy requires each volunteer to have a background check from within the last year in order to work in programs involving children.

The background checks have to go through the University’s human resources department, Barbaro said.

Barbaro said they try to work with student organizations on costs.

“Most of the programs pay for the background checks,” Barbaro said.

“We’ve also been working with some organizations, so we’ve made sure that cost doesn’t interfere with students’ ability to volunteer.”

However, Ritter said the current system still causes issues — at least for the Campus Y.

“The worst part of the policy is that the only background checks they accept is the $50 one through the University,” Ritter said.

“Other background checks only cost ten dollars. It could help students afford it.”

Ritter said the background checks also pose a logistical challenge for the Campus Y.

“It makes it really difficult for us to be dealing with larger systemic issues when we have to deal with the logistics.”