Third quarter woes continue for UNC women's basketball in loss to Louisville

Coming off a six-game skid, the North Carolina women’s basketball team did not start on the right foot Thursday evening. 

A technical prior to tip-off gave No. 13 Louisville a 2-0 advantage thanks to two free throws before the clock started rolling. 

After battling throughout the night, the Tar Heels ultimately could not handle the Cardinals' depth, falling 78-60 on Thursday night in Carmichael Arena. 

Like many of the Tar Heels' games lately, the contest was a tale of two halves. The reoccurring theme of a third quarter Achilles heel was prevalent Thursday night. 

The Tar Heels (12-12, 2-7 ACC) led for most of the first half and by as many as 10 points early in the third period. UNC found success by exposing Louisville’s half-court trap defense, bursting to a 16-14 lead at the end of the first period. 

This burst was led by redshirt junior forward Hillary Summers, who owned the paint for the first 20 minutes of play — compiling 10 points, five rebounds and a block before the break. 

UNC outrebounded Louisville 24-20 in the first half, while taking a 32-28 advantage into the locker room at halftime. 

Then came the second half.

Louisville exploded in the third period for 35 points and outscored UNC 50-28 in the second half. Around the seven-minute mark of the third quarter, the wheels came off for the Tar Heels. 

Louisville turned a 10-point deficit into a two-point lead in a three-minute span and never looked back. 

Quotable 

“If we could play halves, we’d be in good shape.” — Coach Sylvia Hatchell following her team's defeat.

Notable 

Walker leads the NCAA in minutes played this season with 887. 

On Thursday, senior Xylina McDaniel underwent surgery on the ACL and meniscus in her right knee. She had previously been ruled out for the rest of the season after injuring her knee on Jan. 14 against Georgia Tech. 

Three numbers that matter

4: The Tar Heels made only four 3-pointers on 21 attempts. 

24-12: Louisville outrebounded the Tar Heels 24-12 in the second half. 

38: Summers played a game-high 38 minutes on Thursday.

What's next?

UNC plays Boston College at 1 p.m. on Sunday in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

@WBOD3