Tournées Festival brings French cinema to UNC

Valentine’s Day might be over, but it’s never too late to celebrate the language of love with the Tournées Festival, an event that brings French cinema to U.S. campuses during the month of February. 

"Mood Indigo," based on the French novel "L’Ecume des jours," will be screened tonight in Dey Hall’s Toy Lounge. The screening was originally scheduled for last Monday, but was postponed because of inclement weather. 

"Moi aussi j'exige de tomber amoureux," said Colin, the main character, at the beginning of this drama about love, illness and loss. The quote translates to "I, too, demand to fall in love," in English. 

His demand is met when he runs into Chloe, his lover, at a party. 

Driven by the performances of popular French actors Romain Duris and Audrey Tautou, the characters' idyll is short-lived as the young woman develops a rare condition requiring her to be surrounded by flowers at all times. 

The Tournées Festival is an initiative of the FACE Foundation supporting French-American Cultural Exchanges in partnership with the Cultural Services of the French Embassy and the Franco-American Cultural Fund. The Foundation annually contributes more than $200,000 in grants to the Tournées Festival at 61 universities and colleges across U.S. 

The organization of the festival at UNC is a collaboration between the department of Romance studies, the Center for European Studies and the department of Asian studies. 

Former graduate student, Mercédès Baillargeon, first introduced the idea to the department of Romance studies in 2013. 

Following this initiative, the department reached out to the Center of European Studies, who provided access to the Nelson Mandela Auditorium for the screenings, and the department of Asian studies, who promoted the festival on campus. Both helped fund the event.

"Our main mandate is to engage the community in contemporary European studies, and promoting the French language is part of our mission," said Kathleen Shanahan Lindner, the Center's executive director. 

The Center for European Studies is also organizing UNC's first-ever "Europe Week at Carolina" in April to celebrate the diversity of contemporary Europe and Europeans. 

Screenings are free and open to the public, and while the movies are in French, they have English subtitles.

"We attempt to select titles that we think will interest not only students of French, but also the UNC and Chapel Hill community at large," said Emma Monroy, a graduate teaching fellow in French who helped organize the festival last year. 

Maury Bruhn, a first-year Ph.D. student, helped organize the festival. 

"In a classroom, it’s easy to lose touch with the most cultural aspect of learning a language," she said. "The Tournées Festival is a way to expand how we bring French to the undergraduate population."

Bruhn said she wanted to make sure there was a variety of films shown.

"'Timbuktu,' for example, is a very political and very intense movie," she said. "'Tales of the Night,' on the other end, is a bit lighter. We wanted to show the diversity of the Francophone world." 

@audleynaud