UNC fencing competes in Northwestern Duals

After its previous meet was postponed due to snow, the North Carolina fencing teams returned to action in the Northwestern Dual Meets.

And on Saturday, UNC started to show its strength as a unit.

The Tar Heels fared well in South Bend, Ind., as the women's team claimed an 8-3 record and the men finished 5-4.

Sophomores Meredith Bozentka and Sara Moreno led the women to a successful weekend, while the first-year sabre duo of Matthew Garrelick and Connor Ritchey maintained their impressive seasons to lead the men.

Despite the men's inconsistent performance over the weekend — emblematic of their season thus far — Coach Ron Miller was still content with the squad's performance.

First-year Beni Mathieu was a pleasant surprise for North Carolina in her first collegiate start.

“This was a good opportunity for her to get a lot more experience, and it should give her a good opportunity to qualify for postseason,” Miller said.

Quotable

“We’re not that deep across the board in all the weapons, but they’re improving. I really can’t complain." — Miller on his team's standing this season.

Notable

Consistency has been an issue for North Carolina so far this season, and a lot of that can be attributed to injuries. But the teams are finally returning to full strength, and Miller expects this to help the the Tar Heels establish more consistent performances moving forward.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels will compete in the Duke Dual Meets in Durham. The men start at 8 a.m. on Saturday, while the women start at 8 a.m. on Sunday.

@YonaDagalosi