Jackson, Pinson step up at the right time

Forward Justin Jackson (44) drives the baseline during UNC Men's Basketball's route of Miami on Saturday.

Justin Jackson will tell you straight up he’s not an expressive person.

The lanky sophomore from Texas plays with the same stony look on his face no matter what. He’ll thread a pass ahead for a dunk, then follow up with a 3-pointer or his trademark floater in the lane, while still looking like his mother just told him he couldn’t get a puppy. 

But late in No. 5 North Carolina’s 96-71 win against No. 11 Miami on Saturday, Jackson hit his third 3-pointer of the day. Seconds later, he stole the ball and fed Isaiah Hicks on the fast break to give UNC an 86-48 lead. 

Running back up the court, Jackson cracked a grin.

“You might see that every once in a while from me if things are clicking,” he said.

Theo Pinson more than makes up for Jackson in expressiveness. But Pinson has worn a long look on his face when he’s been on the floor for a while.

After missing 14 games in his first season because of a broken left foot, the sophomore has looked more like a rookie at times this year with turnovers and inexperienced mistakes. Jackson, too, has had rough stretches of play where he hasn’t shot the ball well. 

But the two have started to build some momentum. Jackson has scored in double figures in five of the past six games, while Pinson has 21 assists in that same time frame. 

On Saturday, everything came together for them and the Tar Heels (22-5, 11-3 ACC) in perhaps the team’s most complete win of the season.

Jackson had 15 points and a career-high eight assists, while Pinson added 10 points, five rebounds and three assists. Combined, the two had 25 points, seven rebounds, 11 assists and a pair of steals.

UNC hit nine 3-pointers — one from Pinson and three from Jackson — after making only one in Wednesday night’s loss to Duke. 

The sophomore duo’s outburst came at the perfect time for the Tar Heels. Coming off the heartbreaking loss to Duke, UNC needed to win to hold off Miami for first place in the ACC. Pinson said his team showed maturity in bouncing back.

“Today was a must-win,” Pinson said. “Last year, we might have come out flat to this team. This year, we came out and punched them in the mouth.”

Pinson himself demonstrated that maturity. Halfway through the second half, Pinson drove straight into a crowded lane, like he had so many times before this season. Instead of turning it over, though, Pinson dished the ball over three Miami players to Kennedy Meeks for the layup. 

Jackson dispelled the ghosts of poor play, too. He hit more 3-pointers on Saturday than he had in the first 10 games of ACC play. His and Pinson’s defensive effort also helped jumpstart UNC’s transition offense, which can bury teams in a hurry. 

Coming out at halftime, Jackson tallied three assists and a 3-pointer to help a 42-33 halftime lead turn into a 55-34 rout. 

“When we get going, you see everybody smiling,” Hicks said. “Everybody’s pumped up.”

Even Justin Jackson.

@loganulrich