UNC men's golf sputters in final round of Puerto Rico Classic

For the North Carolina men's golf team, not every day was paradise in the Puerto Rico Classic.

No. 8 UNC finished fifth out of 15 teams in the Caribbean tournament played at the Rio Mar Country Club's River Course over the weekend, tainting a strong start with a disappointing performance in the third and final day of competition.

After shooting 11-under-par through the first two days, the Tar Heels shot 2-over-par on Tuesday to finish the weekend 9-under-par.

But on the tournament's opening day, UNC came out firing.

Led by Carter Jenkins' score of 68, the Tar Heels fired a 10-under-par Sunday to place them just two shots behind leader Alabama.

Jenkins was not alone in his birdie assault, as Henry Do and William Register each shot 3-under-par while Joshua Martin finished even par to round out the Tar Heels' scoring.

North Carolina carried its success into day two of the tournament, as Register and Ben Griffin both signed off scores of 69 to put the Tar Heels within striking distance of the Crimson Tide.

Register’s score put him one shot back of the individual leader, bringing the Tar Heels within two strokes of the team lead as they entered the clubhouse Monday.

But on Tuesday, things did not go as swimmingly for North Carolina.

UNC shot 2-over-par as a team, as only one Tar Heel finished under par in the final round of the tournament.

One of the main issues for North Carolina on Tuesday were par-5 holes.

After tallying a 16-under-par score on par-5 holes the first two days of the tournament — including 12-under-par on Sunday — UNC shot 4-over-par on those holes Tuesday, last among the 15 teams in the tournament.

Register finished Tuesday’s round at even par, finishing tied for fourth with a 6-under-par score.

Quotable

"We played very well the first day, and had a solid second day. We came into (Tuesday) with a nice position to contend, but we just couldn’t get the birdies we needed to.” — Coach Andrew Sapp on his team's poor finish.

Notable

Despite 13 combined eagles being recorded in the first and third rounds, no team shot an eagle in the second round of the tournament.

Three numbers that matter

16: UNC was 16 shots back from first-place Alabama at the tournament's conclusion. North Carolina trailed by just two strokes after two days of competition.

12: North Carolina shot 12 strokes worse on Tuesday than Sunday, when it shot 10-under-par for a score of 278.

6: The Tar Heels registered six scores under par through three days of action. Only one came on the final day.

What’s next? 

UNC will play in the Jim Hackler Intercollegiate at the Dunes Club in Myrtle Beach, S.C., on March 12.

@WBOD3