UNC men's lacrosse uses balance on offense to beat Furman 14-6

The No. 5 North Carolina men’s lacrosse team took on Furman at Fetzer Field on Saturday in the second game of a three game home stand. The Tar Heels put together a balanced offensive attack and beat the Palladins 14-6. 

The scoring started early for the Tar Heels (2-0), especially after a sluggish start to the first quarter. Even though the quarter ended with Carolina up 6-2, Furman (0-2) brought defensive pressure that helped keep them in the game. 

The second quarter gave the Tar Heels a chance to add to their lead, which they did by adding four more goals. Scoring in numbers was something reminiscent of last year’s team, but a new focus on offense had North Carolina sharing the ball and buying into the offense. 

Seven different Tar Heels scored in the game, a well-rounded attack that garnered 14 goals in total. 

Seniors Luke Goldstock and Steve Pontrello have been the leaders in the offense so far this year, and Saturday was no exception. Both seniors snagged hat tricks in the win, with Goldstock getting another point from an assist. 

Coach Joe Breschi was pleased with Brian Balkam, who is now 2-0 this year after a win over Michigan last week. He saved nine shots from Furman. The Paladins' offense struggled to find its comfort zone, scoring just three goals in each half. 

Quotable

“When we share the ball, we’re very good. When we don’t, we’re not very good. I know it sounds simple, but it is.” — Coach Joe Breschi on his team's ability to score on the offensive end.

Notable

Furman’s coach Richie Meade graduated from UNC in 1976. Meade was also an assistant coach at UNC for one year before he eventually made his way to Furman in 2012. 

Three numbers that matter

50: The Tar Heels racked up 50 shots in total, keeping the Paladins on their heels with constant offensive pressure. 

0: The number of extra-man opportunities that either team capitalized on. Furman had four chances to Carolina’s one. 

6: The number of goals the Tar Heels assisted on. Sharing the ball and trying to keep everyone involved in a complete attack has been a new focus of this year’s team. 

What's next?

North Carolina hosts Hofstra at 2 p.m. on Saturday. 

@WCCarp