UNC women's lacrosse works on little things in big win over San Diego State

The bigger the win, like Sunday's 20-7 romp against San Diego State, the more the North Carolina women's lacrosse team tries to work on the little things. 

“It was a great win, but there is definitely always something to take away from each game,” said sophomore midfielder Marie McCool. “It’s mainly the little things like ground balls, 50-50 balls, draw controls … just the little things that make a total team effort and team win.” 

The game was never very close. 

No. 2 UNC jumped out to an early 7-0 lead and built on it to finish the first half up 14-1. The comfortable margin allowed the Tar Heels (3-0) the opportunity to work on the smaller parts of their game in preparation for the bigger matchups that lie ahead in the season. 

McCool and junior midfielder Molly Hendrick led the Tar Heel offensive attack against the Aztecs (0-2). McCool led the team with five goals on eight shots. Hendrick wasn’t far behind with four goals of her own. 

Goalkeepers Caylee Waters and Megan Ward combined to keep the Aztec offense in check. Waters allowed one goal in the first half, while Ward snagged three saves while allowing six goals in the second. 

North Carolina has two big home games coming up against No. 8 Florida and No. 1 Maryland in the next two weekends. It’s the lessons the Tar Heels learn in blowouts that help the team in the marquee matchups. 

“We just try to work on ourselves in these kinds of games, working on the little things like getting our offense together and getting in groves that we like to bring to bigger games in the future,” Hendrick said. 

Quotable

“We like our depth now and we hopefully will love our depth by the end of the season, which means that we’ve really gotten other players to step up and play at a higher level.” — Coach Jenny Levy on her team's depth.

Notable

In its first three games this season, UNC has outscored its opponents by a combined margin of 37-6 in the first halves of games.

Three numbers that matter

52: UNC had 52 total shots on Sunday against San Diego State.

11-11: UNC was a perfect 11-of-11 on clears.

5: McCool scored a team-high five goals.

What’s next? 

North Carolina will play against Florida at 11 a.m. on Saturday at Fetzer Field.

@bauman_john