UNC women's tennis falls flat against Michigan, suffers second loss

After coming up short in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Indoor Team Championship finals against California, the No. 2 North Carolina’s women’s tennis team turned to No. 8 Michigan for a chance to rebound and regain speed. 

The Tar Heels faced off against the Wolverines on Saturday in Ann Arbor, Mich. But the top-10 matchup proved to be a challenge for UNC, as it lost 5-2. 

The mistakes started early for the Tar Heels in the doubles matches.

Junior Hayley Carter and senior Whitney Kay were defeated in their doubles match, 6-4, followed by senior Ashley Dai and first-year Chloe Ouellet-Pizer losing, 7-6 (7-4). The Tar Heels dropped the doubles point for the first time this season. 

UNC needed to rebound in singles in order to give itself a chance of squeaking out a win against Michigan. Kay and Carter proved their leadership, giving the team some fire early in the singles matches.

Kay started off strong with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Brienne Minor, tying the score at 1. But sophomore Marika Akkerman suffered a 6-3, 6-4 defeat against Alex Najarian, giving the lead back to Michigan. 

Carter, who ranked No. 3 in the country in singles, showed her dominance and tied up the match again at 2 with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Ronit Yurovsky. 

Even with the leadership of Kay and Carter, the Tar Heels could not fight off the Wolverines, as North Carolina dropped the final three matches.

Ouellet-Pizer lost to Sara Remynse, 6-4, 6-4; first-year Jessie Aney lost to Kate Fahey, 6-4, 6-4; and senior Kate Vialle lost to Mira Ruder-Hook, 6-2, 4-6, 6-0. 

UNC closes out the majority of its nonconference portion of the season, including matches in the ITA National Team Indoors, with a 10-2 record. 

Quotable

“It's always tough coming back depending how you do. The ITA’s a really grinding tournament, and Michigan is a really good team and they deserve all the credit.” — Coach Brian Kalbas on his team's defeat. 

Notable

The doubles tandem of Carter and Kay, which is ranked No. 1 in the country, suffered its first loss this season. 

Three numbers that matter

5: The total number of sets North Carolina won against Michigan in singles play. 

5: The number of top-25 ranked teams UNC has on its upcoming schedule. 

27: When the Tar Heels play Miami on Friday at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center, it will mark UNC's first home match in 27 days. 

What’s next?

The Tar Heels return to the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center to face Miami at 5 p.m. on Friday before playing Florida State at 1 p.m. on Sunday. 

@MichaelFreije