13 UNC leaders will advise administrators on the future of Student Stores

The Student Stores Request For Proposal Advisory Committee is tasked with evaluating seven proposals from companies who want to privatize Student Stores — and one proposal from the store’s current management.

Brad Ives, committee member and associate vice chancellor for campus enterprises, said the committee will hear presentations from finalists in late March. The chance of privatization garnered attention on campus in the fall after one major company, Follett, offered to lease Student Stores.

According to the Division of Finance and Administration’s webpage about Student Stores outsourcing, the committee will share pros and cons of the proposals but will not send in a direct recommendation. The division will use the committee’s recommendations to come to a final decision.

An external consultant, Campus Bookstore Consulting, will moderate the advisory committee.

Student Body President Houston Summers, who is one of two students on the 13-member committee, said the group is an advisory committee, and the final decision lies with higher-level administrators.

“This committee was brought together to ensure that not just one or two individuals were making the final decision,” Summers said.

“To my knowledge, this advisory committee will put together groups of recommendations — I would imagine something to the effect of ‘this is our favorite choice, or our favorite combination of choices that serves the University best.’”

Summers said the committee met once before Spring Break to discuss expectations for members.

“Based on that one meeting, we spent about an hour and 45 minutes in a room together, I think that everyone is absolutely looking out for the interest of their particular groups,” Summers said.

He said he is confident the committee will be able to work together and effectively discuss the proposals.

“There are very engaged individuals on that committee that definitely are not going to let things slide,” he said. “Everybody is going to try to draw out what’s best for everyone involved.”

Ives said even though certain factors like the nature of Finance and Administration’s decision can affect the timeline, a final decision is expected to be reached by the end of April.

“If the decision is to outsource, we’ll have to negotiate a contract,” Ives said.

The eight proposals have not been released to the public and are being kept confidential due to the sensitive information they may contain, according to the Division of Finance and Administration’s webpage.

“I’m excited about the work the committee is going to do,” Summers said.

“I think there are some really cost-effective things that are going to come out of this while still protecting the true essence of what Student Stores is and has become over the last 100-plus years.”