Company Carolina presents the unconventional "Songs for a New World"

Company Carolina’s newest show, "Songs for a New World," is definitely musical, but not like traditional musical theater.

"Songs for a New World" will start playing tonight at 8 p.m. at the ArtsCenter in Carrboro and continue until Sunday. Unlike other shows Company Carolina has done, this show will use a smaller venue, which only seats 105 people. 

The show, written by Jason Robert Brown, is a song cycle comprised of songs performed by just four actors with only bits of spoken dialogue. Company Carolina had performed "The Last Five Years," another song cycle by Brown, in January and February, making them familiar with Brown's work. 

Kelly Hynek, the director of "Songs for a New World," said she was excited to work on a smaller stage.

“It’s much less stressful to work with fewer actors — you get more time to play in the rehearsal," Hynek said.

Also unlike most musicals, it doesn’t have a plot or even consistent characters.

“In each song, the actors will take on a new character. The characters are not connected to each other unless they perform in a scene together. It’s different from a traditional musical in that way, but you have great musical theater style songs,” Kate Jones, "Songs for a New World" Assistant Director, said. 

Hynek said there is a certain theme that runs through all the songs.

“The songs are thematically similar in that they’re about taking the next step in your life and going on a journey, the next step forward,” Hynek explained.

One song might focus on a man imprisoned against his will, while another illustrates the story of a ship’s captain forging into a new world.

The show also features challenging music. Four actors work together to juggle different styles including pop, gospel and country. The rapid shifts in style is combined with unpredictable harmonies and full usage of the singers’ ranges.

“I can safely say it’s the most difficult thing musically that I’ve ever worked on, said music director Claire Cooper, who also directed the music for "The Last Five Years."  

The casting for the show is also unconventional. Normally cast with two male and two female characters, Company Carolina’s show has three females and one male.

“We felt that the girl who sang the male character could sing the different songs and add a new dynamic to the songs and harmonies,” Jones said.

Between the alternative casting and storyline, Company Carolina hopes to bring in an audience to match.

“This show stands on its own in that there aren’t elaborate sets or costumes or anything of that nature,” added Hynek.

“It’s just the actors acting as themselves and these characters, which makes this show stand apart from other shows.”