He’s Not Here returns after 21-day absence

“How am I feeling about He’s Not reopening?” said UNC senior Danny Hogenkamp. “The best.”

The bar reopened after a three-week hiatus after authorities say former UNC student Chandler Kania drank underage at He’s Not before driving drunk and hitting another car head-on, killing three people.

The bar’s involvement caused He’s Not to lose its ABC permits for 21 days and pay a $15,000 fine.

In its three-week absence, general manager Fleming Fuller said the bar has implemented new policy changes and some structural changes as well.

“We’ll start carding people at the door and at the bar now,” Fuller said.

“We were also planning on doing some renovations outside, but due to the bad weather, that’s been pushed back until summer.”

To celebrate the reopening, the bar held a cornhole tournament consisting of up to 32 teams.

All proceeds went to the Carolina For the Kids Foundation, the largest student-run philanthropy in North Carolina, that raises money for patients and families at UNC Children’s Hospital.

“We’ve worked with them a lot in the past along with other nonprofits like Relay for Life,” Fuller said.

The entrance fee for the tournament was $7 a person.

Those under 21 who just wanted to watch could do so for a $5 cover.

Winners of the tournament received different prizes.

The first place team members won a He’s Not T-shirt and a week of frozen yogurt from Yogurt Pump on Franklin Street, second place won a Chapel Hill Sportswear gift card and third place won a Carolina Coffee Shop gift card.

According to Fuller, He’s Not has raised more than $100,000 for various charities in the past.

As for the punishment brought upon He’s Not, opinions were mixed.

“As an isolated incident, the punishment was fair,” said UNC junior Ben Horlick.

“It’s a dangerous precedent to punish a bar for the actions of a patron after they leave. However, He’s Not has a history of being lax on their ID policy.”

@ryansalch

More in Public Safety

More in Business

More in Food & Drink