Justin Jackson finally realizing potential for UNC

The 6-foot-8 wing joined North Carolina advertised as a three-dimensional scoring threat — a gangly nightmare for defenses who could hit from any spot on the floor.

“When I watched him in high school ... it doesn’t look like he ever took a shot, and he ends up with 20,” Sean May, director of player personnel, said. “He just understands how the play of the ball tends to find him.”

For most of Jackson’s first two seasons, that ability hasn’t quite translated.

He shot 28.1 percent from deep this season after shooting 30.4 percent his rookie year. He’s averaged 11.5 points per game through two seasons. But thanks to heady play, Jackson locked up a spot in the starting five early in his first season for UNC.

He maintained his stranglehold on the spot until his worst shooting game of this year — a 1-for-7, five-point outing in a road loss to Notre Dame. Before UNC’s next game against Boston College, Coach Roy Williams told the slumping Jackson he wouldn’t be starting.

Jackson responded with his best shooting game of the year. He scored 20 points on 9-of-11 shooting and scored in double digits in 13 of the next 14 games.

“He may have lost some confidence, it may have just been his shot wasn’t falling, but he stayed with it,” May said.

“He was very persistent, continued to get his work in, and I think that hard work has paid off because now when you watch him, he just plays and good things happen.”

Jackson’s late surge is reminiscent of his first season, where he scored in double digits in 11 of the last 12 games. He’s been an integral part of the Tar Heels’ renewed defensive intensity late in the year and has flashed increased physicality, driving for layups instead of pulling up for his signature floater.

He’s also re-discovered his touch from long range, shooting 46.2 percent on 3-pointers during the NCAA Tournament.

That’s where Williams thinks the next stage in Jackson’s development is; continuing to evolve into more of a pure shooter and maintaining that average. If he does, the NBA scouts already keeping an eye on him could be even more intrigued by his diverse skillset.

“Justin’s like a chameleon,” May said. “He’s very similar to me in the fact that he needs a system, and he can play in pretty much any system because he knows how to play.”

But that’s not what Jackson’s thinking about. Individual accolades and accomplishments always take a backseat to the team.

“At the end of the day, it’s all about the team,” Jackson said. “Everybody could probably on this team could choose another team they could go to. But this is where I am, this is where I think all of us want to be.

“And we’re in the Final Four, you can’t be a lot more happier than that.”

@loganulrichsports@dailytarheel.com