Kendra Lynch leads UNC softball to 5-3 win over Longwood

Junior Kendra Lynch is perhaps one of the best pitchers in the ACC. But coming off a weekend series against Syracuse where she went 0-for-8 at the plate, it was time for Lynch to reassert herself at bat.

While she also earned a win as the North Carolina softball team's starting pitcher, Lynch's hitting proved to be the difference for UNC in a 5-3 victory over Longwood on Tuesday in Farmville, Va.

With the Tar Heels (13-11, 2-1 ACC) leading 1-0 in the top of the first inning, Lynch crushed a three-run home run to give UNC a 4-0 lead over the Lancers (9-8). Lynch finished the day 2-for-4 at the plate.

“We started off really strong. … We were aggressive at the plate, we were swinging at good pitches, and we were just making things happen," Coach Donna Papa said. "We were in a good rhythm.”

North Carolina added to its lead in the second inning, when senior Aquilla Mateen scored from third base on a sacrifice fly to make it 5-0 in favor of the Tar Heels. Longwood changed pitchers in the third inning, which ultimately changed the landscape of the game.

Led my first-year pitcher Sydney Gay, the Lancers began their comeback in the third inning, scoring two runs to pull within 5-2. Longwood tacked on another run in the fourth inning to cut UNC's lead to 5-3 heading into the top of the fifth.

But Lynch steadied the ship for North Carolina.

In the final three innings, Lynch didn't surrender a hit and allowed only three batters to reach base. And with runners on first and second base with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning, Lynch was confident — and even had a smile on her face — as she induced a fly out to end the game.

“I just have to stay relaxed," she said. "I look over at Coach, and she keeps me calm. I know that the team trusts that I’ll get us out of those situations.”

“Ultimately, I can’t press. I just have to stay calm and do my job.”

Quotable

“Kendra Lynch did a great job maintaining her composure and pose, and she did a great job finishing the game. … She’s worked through some of those situations and has that experience now. She’s worked to get through it. She’s made good pitches and her defense has supported her." — Papa on Lynch’s performance.

Notable

Lynch has been the only full-time pitcher available for North Carolina as of late. With sophomore Sydney Matzko out because of an injury, Lynch has taken on a heavy workload.

Three numbers that matter

4: Lynch struck out four batters.

4: Lynch has hit four home runs this season.

11: Lynch has earned the win in 11 games, which is tied for the most in the ACC this season. 

What’s next?

The Tar Heels host N.C. State at 6 p.m. on Wednesday at Anderson Softball Stadium. 

@YonaDagalosi