Mark Marcoplos claims only non-incumbent seat on Board of Commissioners

Marcoplos was the only non-incumbent candidate to win a position in this year’s election.

Commissioners Penny Rich, Mark Dorosin and Renee Price, all incumbents, won back seats in the election.

Rich and Dorosin won the two District 1 seats with 37.6 percent and 30 percent of the vote, respectively, while Price reclaimed the single open District 2 seat with 60.7 percent of the vote.

Marcoplos will not be sworn in or start his official term until December.

Rich said Marcoplos has worked in the community with her for years and will be a good addition to the board, especially when working with affordable housing policies.

“I think he’s going to prove to be a champion on affordable housing and how to handle different kinds of zoning to make sure the affordable housing is actually happening,” she said.

Marcoplos has experience with many types of community government work and has worked with many other commissioners, including previous at-large commissioner Bernadette Pelissier, on organizations in Orange County like Orange Water And Sewer Authority.

“I’ve also met with him and talked with him about mental health issues,” Pelissier said. “I think that’s what the job of a commissioner is — to look at the big picture in all respects. That’s what Mark will need to do, and I think he will listen to what people are saying and he’ll have to make his own judgment.”

Marcoplos is the owner of a construction company and said he feels the transition into his new position will be smooth.

“I think it’s a pretty good team,” he said. “I’m really glad Mark and Penny were elected because I know I can work really well with them. It should be a real straightforward (transition) and I’m up to speed on all the issues as well.”

Marcoplos said some of his plans for his upcoming term include making sure the school systems are being taken care of with constant maintenance and repair needs.

“Another thing I’ve been focused on is affordable housing,” Marcoplos said. “I’ve been on the Orange County Housing Authority and have been trying to get a grip on how we can speed up affordable housing. The last year or so I’ve been focusing on that and want to see what we can do.”

@lmh0987