Non-discrimination policies in HB2 stalled outside the bathrooms

The controversial law, signed by Gov. Pat McCrory March 23, has already been called into question for its legality. Two civil rights organizations and three N.C. residents filed a lawsuit against HB2 Monday.

Attorney General Roy Cooper, who is currently running as the Democratic candidate for governor, is named as a defendant but will not defend the law in court.

“We’re better than this. Discrimination is wrong, period,” Cooper said in a tweet.

President Pro Tempore of the N.C. Senate Phil Berger, R-Rockingham, called for Cooper’s resignation from office.

“His zeal for pandering for the extreme left’s money and agenda in his race for governor is making it impossible for him to fulfill his duties as attorney general,” Berger said in a press release.

The UNC system and the Board of Governors are also defendents.

“We’ve been working to consider (HB2’s) full impact on the University community and UNC system operations,” UNC-system President Margaret Spellings said in a statement Tuesday.

She also reiterated the system’s commitment to inclusivity.

N.C. American Civil Liberties Union Spokesperson Mike Meno said more than LGBT people are affected.

“(This law) also impacts other people in ways, such as your right to bring a state claim if you’ve been wrongfully terminated,” Meno said. “That applies to everybody and there are other parts that affect fair wage and employment policies.”

And Kate Oakley, senior counsel of the Human Rights Campaign, questioned how the law could change defense against discrimination for reasons other than sexuality.

“(HB2) also overturned ordinances in Greensboro and Orange County, which protected veterans from discrimination,” Oakley said. “It may be that a claim of discrimination on the basis of religion will only result in a mediation.”

Because of Title IX, a federal law prohibiting universities from discriminating on the basis of sex, the state could be putting at least $4.5 billion in federal funds at risk, she said.

“That number doesn’t include other federal funding that universities receive from the federal government for research or other projects,” she said.