UNC men's golf finishes strong in General Hackler Championship

After a month-long break, the North Carolina men’s golf team claimed a fourth-place finish this weekend in the General Hackler Championship in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

After faltering down the stretch in the Puerto Rico Classic, the No. 13 Tar Heels hoped to have a much better outcome against a strong field of 15 teams — including ranked regional rivals Virginia, South Carolina and N.C. State.

UNC ended the two-round first day of the tournament with a 3-under-par, earning a tie for fifth place. The Tar Heels were led by juniors Henry Do and Carter Jenkins, who each tied for 14th place after two rounds at 2-under-par. The duo each scored 73 in the third round to finish in a tie for 15th place.

But in Sunday's final round, the underclassmen led the charge for UNC.

After posting two consecutive scores of 74, first-year Joshua Martin carded a 6-under-par 66 in the third round to finish tied at 12th place. Sophomore William Register also saved his best for last, earning a 2-under-par 70 in the final round to tie Martin with a 12th-place finish.

North Carolina remained consistent throughout the entire tournament, finishing near the top in nearly every statistical category. The Tar Heels finished 14 shots back of tournament champion South Carolina, good for a fourth-place finish.

Quotable

“In a lot of ways, I hope we are a lot like our basketball team — in that we start playing our best golf at the end of the season.” — Coach Andrew Sapp on his team's performance moving forward.

Notable

Martin’s score of 66 in the third round tied for the best individual performance of the tournament. Two other golfers — Virginia junior Jimmy Stranger and Kent State sophomore Chase Johnson — also posted a round of 6-under-par.

Three numbers that matter

3: UNC scored three eagles through three rounds, tying with the Golden Flashes for the most in the tournament. Jenkins had two eagles of his own, tying him with Kent State's Johnson for most among all golfers.

4: Four of North Carolina's six golfers finished under par for the tournament — a feat matched only by the champion Gamecocks.

5: The Tar Heels excelled on par-5 holes, finishing 18-under-par in the category. Only Kent State, which shot 19-under-par, fared better on such holes.

What’s next?

UNC will only have a few days to rest before traveling to Statesboro, Ga. to participate in the Schenkel Invitational on March 18th.

@BrandonWhite95