UNC women's lacrosse extends winning streak with win over Elon

Coming off a road win against No. 12 Virginia, the fourth-ranked North Carolina women’s lacrosse team looked to extend its winning streak to three games as it traveled to Elon.

The Tar Heels struck early against the Phoenix (5-3), as junior Molly Hendrick tallied her 24th goal of the season in the game’s first minute. Hendrick, the team’s leading goal scorer, would go on to add two more goals, as UNC defeated Elon 13-2.

In the final minute of the first half, Hendrick and senior Sammy Jo Tracy both scored to give the Tar Heels (6-2) an 8-1 lead heading into halftime.

First-year Olivia Ferrucci picked up where the team left off, as she scored within the first two minutes of the second half. UNC added four more goals in the second period and led by as many as 11 goals with less than seven minutes left. 

UNC’s offense benefited from its domination in draw controls, winning 13 of 17. This allowed the Tar Heels to control the ball and dictate the pace, as the team totaled 27 shots — including 20 on goal.

North Carolina used ball movement and unselfish play to set up a majority of its goals. The Tar Heels had eight assists, with six coming on their first six goals.

Although the offense generated scoring opportunities, UNC committed 18 turnovers, three more than its previous season high of 15 against Albany.

Quotable

“As we say on the team, draws are the most important part of the game. My team and myself understand that and we try to hustle for every ball.” — Tracy on the team’s ball control through faceoffs.

Notable

The Tar Heels’ win gives them a 3-0 lead in the all-time series against the Phoenix. UNC won handily a year ago, 21-2.

Three numbers that matter

3: Junior Sydney Holman had three assists, matching her season total entering the game.

66: Tracy’s four draw controls give her a team-leading 66 on the year.

50: Hendrick scored the Tar Heels’ first goal 50 seconds into the game.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels travel to Evanston, Ill., to play Northwestern at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

@NoahGrant13