5 things to watch for in the UNC football spring game

UNC football won against Delaware with a score of 41 to 14 on Saturday afternoon in Kenan Stadium.

The North Carolina football team returns to Kenan Stadium on Saturday for its spring game, giving fans their first chance at seeing the 2016 Tar Heels.

Here are five things to note ahead of the game, which kicks off at 3 p.m.

1. After seeing limited time under center in his first three years at Chapel Hill, redshirt junior Mitch Trubisky is expected to be UNC’s starting quarterback.

His first chance to prove he can maintain the Tar Heels’ offensive success following the graduation of Marquise Williams — who led the team to an 11-1 regular season record in 2015 — comes on Saturday.

Trubisky attempted 47 passes a season ago, but he only threw seven incompletions while racking up nine total touchdowns.

Coach Larry Fedora hasn’t officially named Trubisky the starter, but a solid performance on Saturday could earn him the gig. 

2. Trubisky isn’t the only Tar Heel from Mentor High School in Mentor, Ohio, who could play a pivotal piece in UNC’s offense once the season begins.

Redshirt sophomore tight end Brandon Fritts — who caught three touchdowns a season ago — could see an expanded role following the graduation of Kendrick Singleton and with his high school teammate under center.

Fritts never hauled in more than three passes in a game in 2015, but he showed flashes of his potential in the latter half of the season.

Saturday’s game could give fans an idea of how involved Fritts will be in UNC’s offensive attack.

3. With the departures of veteran linebackers Shakeel Rashad and Jeff Schoettmer, the Tar Heels lose two of their defensive stalwarts and their two biggest leaders on that side of the ball.

But junior Cayson Collins, redshirt sophomore Cole Holcomb and sophomore Andre Smith hope to use the advice they received from Rashad and Schoettmer to fill the void in the middle of the defense.

Each player should receive ample opportunity to prove himself leading up to the season opener against Georgia on Sept. 3. This has already started during spring practices, and Saturday’s game could serve as a good evaluation of where they stand.

4. After rushing for 1,463 yards — the second-highest single-season total in UNC history — Elijah Hood hopes to carry the momentum of his sophomore campaign into 2016.

With North Carolina boasting a stable of running backs — including T.J. Logan, Khris Francis, Ty’Son Williams and Jordon Brown — Saturday could provide an indication of how many touches the coaching staff wants Hood to get this fall.

The level of competition at the position limited Hood to 219 carries a season ago, and fans often clamored for him to receive more touches. But the junior will likely be the focal point of UNC’s offense when the 2016 season begins. 

5. Cornerbacks Des Lawrence and M.J. Stewart helped lead the Tar Heels to a No. 18 nation ranking in passing defense a season ago.

Their return bodes well for UNC’s secondary, but there is still a question of who will start at the nickel position.

A cast of players — including Corey Bell Jr., Myles Wolfolk and Myles Dorn — will have the opportunity to distance themselves from the competition with a good showing on Saturday.