Letter: Anti-abortioners have no claim to genocide

Upon approaching the quad this morning and glimpsing the tower of “images of genocide,” I had a panic attack. After 15 minutes of squatting behind Dey Hall, I realized that it was not regular panic I was feeling. It was anger. I was angry that these creeps were not only waging a war against my body, but were appropriating my history to their benefit as a pathetic pro-life scare tactic.

Let’s look at one of the genocides of which my own family has been a victim: The Holocaust.

Yes, I am an angry Jew talking about the Holocaust. Sue me.

Genocide is still present in my family not only because the Nazis physically demolished our ancestors. They also displaced us from land. They also pillaged us, burning our holy books and stealing our family heirlooms. They also raped tens of thousands of us. Tens of thousands went to term with babies that they knew were going to be born into a genocide. Once born, they were either murdered or lived a life of terror and trauma.

“Genocide Awareness” is composed of wealthy, American white “Christians.” How can they know what oppression is, let alone genocide? They are clueless.

Here is a clue: Genocide is isolating a cultural identity, comprised of all ages and genders, and wringing it of its literal and figurative life. Referring to abortion as genocide is not only a lie, but a deeply insulting equivocation.

Get off my campus. Don’t touch my body. Don’t touch my Holocaust.

Ace Lane

Junior

Biology