Don't fret, North Carolina football fans: the future is here.

In three days, the Tar Heels will take the field for their annual spring game at Kenan Stadium. But after posting the most prolific offensive season in program history, UNC has a gaping hole under center.

Former quarterback Marquise Williams was arguably the most dangerous weapon in North Carolina history — scoring a school-record 99 touchdowns and setting all-time marks for yards in a game, season and career.

But Mitch Trubisky might outpace his predecessor.

The redshirt junior has been knocking on the door, prompting quarterback controversies in each of the past two offseasons. And although Williams secured the starting spot with his record-setting campaign in 2015, Coach Larry Fedora split snaps between the two signal-callers in practice.

And in limited action on the field, Trubisky excelled.

On a per-play basis, the former four-star recruit outperformed Williams in every way — topping him in yards per pass, yards per rush, touchdowns per pass, touchdowns per rush and turnover ratio. In the eight games in which he attempted a pass, Trubisky recorded a quarterback rating above 94.0 in every one.

Of his 47 passing attempts, seven were incomplete — and six were touchdowns.

Unlike many backups who boast stellar numbers in garbage time, UNC’s second-in-command often stole the show with the outcome still in doubt.

Against North Carolina A&T, Trubisky matched wits with Williams throughout the contest, answering every read-option scamper and red-zone score with one of his own. And after Williams struggled mightily in the first half against Delaware, his teammate took the reins in the second half — amassing 351 yards and four touchdowns in the most efficient passing performance in UNC history.

Admittedly, most of Trubisky’s shining moments came against inferior competition. But when Fedora called his number against a bitter rival, the quarterback delivered.

On the opening drive of their regular-season finale against N.C. State, the Tar Heels faced a third-and-goal after Williams lost his helmet the play before. But instead of calling a timeout or opting for a conservative playcall, Fedora put the ball in the hands of his trusted backup.

Trubisky rose to the occasion, catching a low snap and avoiding an immediate pass rush to find a crossing Quinshad Davis for a touchdown — sparking a 35-point first quarter on his second-to-last pass of the season.

Yes, Williams captained the most impressive offense in UNC history over the past three years. And yes, Trubisky’s sample size of success is small.

But the Mentor, Ohio native — who claimed Mr. Football honors in high school over Notre Dame’s Malik Zaire and Ohio State’s Jalin Marshall, among others — is no stranger to the spotlight or the starting lineup.

On Saturday, we’ll get a glimpse of what the future holds. And don’t be surprised if it surpasses anything this school has ever seen.