'Cyrano' debuted for Company Carolina's end-of-year finale

Company Carolina took to the stage to perform "Cyrano" at the ArtsCenter in Carrboro last weekend.

Susan Ryan, a graduate communication studies student and the show's director, submitted the proposal for their last play of the year to Company Carolina less than a month ago. With help from a team of musicians, producers and actors, Ryan put the play together in two weeks.

“It was two weeks of rehearsals, but we had a really committed team," she said. "A very talented set of actors, a very charismatic and artistic set of musicians and we were able to bring them all in. It just goes to show you how theater just pulls together when you least expect it.”

The play revolves around its title character Cyrano, who has a disfigured appearance.

Ryan said the subject prompted her to submit her proposal.

“It was during the time — and it still is that time — when we are caring a lot about race relations and values put into aesthetics and appearances and what certain aesthetics are valued socially more than others, and 'Cyrano' opens up that question as well,” Ryan said.

"Cyrano" took place on a small black stage accented by hues of orange and red in the background. During the show, actors transformed the limited space they had to encompass a variety of settings like a battlefield and an outdoor balcony.

Paul Smith, a sophomore dramatic art and geology major, played a wide range of characters, including Christian and Count De Guiche. He said Ryan helped him give each character he portrayed unique traits.

“In rehearsal, one of the things Susan really emphasized for each character was a set of particular quirks about each one," Smith said. "De Guiche is slimy and creepy, which is kind of a general thing, so she had me try to act with T-rex arms and a particular voice, like my way of breathing.”

Smith said he's been surprised at how fast the show has been produced.

“It was a long-winded process," Smith said. "It started three weeks ago — it started off with meeting three or four times a week, working through the whole show. And then we got the space and adding a little bit every night until it was suddenly opening night.”

The play left a strong impression on many audience members, including N.C. State University sophomore Shelby Sessions.

“Overall, I thought it was well-executed. They were able to tell a complex story with just three actors. They were able to set scenes with a very small stage,” Sessions said.

English and music major Sarah-Gray Lesley agreed.

“I enjoyed this play a lot," Lesley said. "Once the story began to develop and I understood how the actors were changing characters, I was able to really get into the story and the concept for the execution of the play.”