Dynamic doubles duo of Dai and Ouellet-Pizer lead UNC women's tennis to 6-1 win

Chemistry is a pivotal part of doubles tennis — just take a look at Ashley Dai and Chloe Ouellet-Pizer. 

When the North Carolina women’s tennis team found itself playing some close doubles matches early during Wednesday’s match against N.C. State, it was Dai and Ouellet-Pizer that pulled out a commanding 6-2 win to set the tone for a 6-1 victory by the Tar Heels. 

“No. 3 doubles getting off to a good start really helped us,” Coach Brian Kalbas said. 

Both through tennis and off the court, the pair has grown close and become a pivotal part of the team.

“Ashley’s a little fiery, and obviously Chloe is very consistent and calm out there," Kalbas said. "I think they mesh really well together.”

While Dai and Ouellet-Pizer have enjoyed some success this spring, they have not always been partners.

After fall practice, Dai talked to Kalbas about what pairing would be best for the team. Dai and Ouellet-Pizer have been playing together ever since.

“Style-wise they play really well together, and chemistry-wise they’re really good together,” Kalbas said.

Harmonizing on the court has never been an issue for the pair, and the duo has gotten closer by both winning together and making things easier on each other.

“I think (winning) has been a big focus for us, because we are both very harsh on ourselves,” Dai said. “We’ve kinda set goals to smile more."

They've had a reason to smile throughout the year. Dai and Ouellet-Pizer have compiled a 15-1 record over the course of the season. 

The impact of the dynamic duo can be seen in the Tar Heels' record. One of UNC’s two losses in 2016 — a 5-2 loss to Michigan on Feb. 20 — accompanied the duo’s sole doubles loss. 

When asked about that loss after Wednesday's match, the chemistry between the pair could be seen as the two took turns blaming themselves for the lone defeat.

“Oh my god Chloe, I’m so sorry, I was so awful,” Dai said

Ouellet-Pizer jumped in.

“Ugh, I missed every return,” she responded.

The pair grew through that loss, learning from it and not dropping a match since.

“Every time we go into the doubles point, I have a lot of belief in us,” Ouellet-Pizer said

And that belief has strengthened the pairs off-court relationship, too.

“I feel like (Dai) has an influence on me,” Ouellet-Pizer said, smiling. 

A little laughter and a few moments of silence passed before Dai gave her thoughts.

“Yeah it goes both ways,” said Dai with a wide smile. “It’s a good relationship.”

@WBOD3