Letter: DTH editorial was unfair to Greek life

The editorial written on Monday about the Greek community’s responsibility failed to accurately portray the situation and provide constructive suggestions.

Just recently, the Interfraternity Council passed legislation mandating that all members of Greek organizations receive sexual assault prevention training through One Act and created a task force to tackle issues of sexual assault. This proposal was the product of weeks of deliberation and provides an avenue for more positive change with regards to sexual assault.

The suggestions given in the article on Monday (having sororities throw parties and changing IFC safety policies) don’t take into account feasibility or legal implications that must be considered. We acknowledge that fraternity culture incubates toxic elements of masculinity, but also fosters an atmosphere that is conducive to developing solutions that operate at the root of the problem. Sexual assault prevention needs to start with men recognizing their role in the issue, and the steps that the Greek community has taken, while not comprehensive, are in the right direction. It’s on us. We understand that. And affecting fundamental change is an incremental process.

Sami Lachgar

Sophomore

Business administration

Ezra Baeli-Wang

Junior

PWAD and Chinese