Letter: Greek life hurts UNC and its students

I hate Greek life. I literally despise it.

I’ll admit it. I attended frat parties my first year. I remember being completely taken aback at some of the things I saw. What do you mean they have a security guard outside? We can really drink underage here and the cops won’t bust the party?? I remember feeling infuriated by the fact that a male who is a non-brother has to “name a brother” or be surrounded by a posse of hot girls in order to gain entrance.

But it doesn’t end there. See, it’s not just the parties or sexism that gets to me. It’s so much more.

It’s also the fact that there is substantial evidence that the likelihood of a sexual assault occurring is increased if Greek life is involved. And lastly, it’s the fact that if you make the cut, and your parents can fork over a couple grand to cover your membership, one almost immediately gains access to a network of alumni that will help them obtain jobs, internships, etc. Not to mention that you put your sorority or fraternity on your resume and there it shines. It breaks my heart that your sorority affiliation looks better on a resume than the full-time job I held while also a full-time student.

Greek life, in my opinion, is just a scaled-down version of the all-too-familiar class system in the United States. Those at the top will remain at the top, and the little guys at the bottom will continue to struggle. It’s this idea of self-entitlement and superiority that breeds in Greek life. Don’t believe me? If you’re not Greek, then you are deemed a “geed” or “GDI.” Otherwise known as a “God Damn Independent.” Whether you say you’re joking or not, the mere existence of such an acronym is appalling. I just don’t get it.

Every time the Greek system is subjected to any type of criticism, they are immediately on the defensive. They cite their philanthropy projects or the amount of money they donated to X organization. Don’t get me wrong; I think that’s awesome. I think it’s great that you all take time to volunteer. But do you really think this excuses any and all negative behavior that is associated with Greek life? Lastly, I do want to say that I do acknowledge not all Greeks fit this bill.

My roommate freshman year and my roommate in Spain were Greek, and they were two of the best people I’ve ever known. I understand that not every single fraternity guy is a rapist or misogynistic. I know that not all sorority girls do coke and party every weekend. But my question is, rather than write Odyssey articles about how Greeks are constantly victim to negative stereotypes, why not make a substantial attempt to reform your sorority or fraternity? Why not actually take disciplinary action against the people who are giving your letters a bad name?

Hannah Forbes

Junior

Public policy and history