Letter: ​Not all students are grade grubbers

I understand the message behind the editorial asking students to “Uphold the Carolina Way,” and I feel the author’s angst towards “grade-grubbing.” However, I do not think that it is appropriate or correct to assume that all students trying to change or withdraw their grade are “grade grubbers”.

There are many reasons why a student may want to have a grade appealed or withdrawn.

I did not do my best academically during my sophomore year here at UNC. But it wasn’t because of laziness or just not doing the work. I tried my hardest in my Orgo I class, but I ended up not passing regardless.

I had experienced my first crippling panic attack the night before the first exam, and that set a precedent for the rest of the semester — I know I am not alone in this. With the help of Counseling and Psychological Services and regular therapy, my situation has much improved, but I do not think that I am a “grade grubber” for trying to retroactively withdraw a failing grade during a time of mental exhaustion and turmoil.

I do not believe it is fair to be punished for something that was outside of my control. Just because someone is not doing well in a class does not mean they are lazy and uninspired; think before you collectively throw students under the bus for what appears to be a “lack of work.”

Selena Tran

Senior

Biology