Opinion: UNC Greeks can help further fight against HB2

In light of the passing of House Bill 2, several organizations have been taking action. A great deal of this organizing has centered queer and transgender folks of color, prompting some to believe that their ability to organize or participate is unwelcome.

As untrue and privileged this line of thinking is, white, “conscious” liberals have mistaken calls to decenter white supremacy as a command not to contribute. Simply put, this bill has an enormous impact on every North Carolinian.

While all organizations concerned ought to denounce the bill, UNC’s Greek organizations are in a unique position to actively fight House Bill 2. Many of these organizations already boast service mindsets, large member populations and maybe most importantly, a large alumni base.

Their support and contributions are needed now more than ever. Gov. Pat McCrory’s executive order is a mere distraction from the larger issues of discrimination that the bill still allows. All his actions prove is that pressure from the state’s people does not go unnoticed by state officials.

It is imperative that any analysis or movement building we seek to do includes black queer and transgender people. It is how we undo and avoid the anti-blackness that our rights-based movements so typically employ.

We are calling on Greek organizations that have not already done so to join the fight against House Bill 2. If done equitably, they can become a great addition to the coalitions forming against bigotry in this state.