Orange County introduces alternative sentencing program for juveniles

The Misdemeanor Diversion Program allows 16- and 17-year-old first-time offenders to participate in a 90-day program aimed at addressing the individual’s issues and needs and to prevent future offenses.

Caitlin Fenhagen, the MDP coordinator and Orange County’s criminal justice resource manager, will lead the program in Orange County. The county’s program is based off on a model created by Durham Chief District Court Judge Marcia Morey that has been used by Durham County since 2014.

Fenhagen said one of the main goals of the program is fixing the issues that might have led the individual to commit the crime initially.

“If they have a substance abuse problem, we’ll usually send them to ASAC, which stands for adolescent substance abuse counseling,” Fenhagen said. “If they have a mental health issue, we have several programs that help with mental health.”

She said if there are no substance abuse or mental health issues that need to be addressed, the person is sent to do 10 to 12 hours of community service.

“Instead of arresting or citing them, the office will actually give them a card and refer them to the misdemeanor program coordinator, which is me,” Fenhagen said. “The officers will write an incident report, but it will never be entered into the courts system or any public database.”

The person is required to attend an educational mandatory court session.

“It’s meant to educate them on the collateral consequences of being involved in the criminal justice system so that they realize the opportunity they’ve been given,” Fenhagen said.

Kate Giduz, youth programs administrator for Volunteers for Youth, an organization focused on delinquency prevention, said there are many community service programs for people a part of the MDP to become involved with.

“Teen court is one of many community-use programs that the MDP will refer to,” Giduz said. “Some other programs serve a different need, like community service, an after-school program, things like that.”

Orange and Chatham counties District Attorney Jim Woodall said he supports the Misdemeanor Diversion Program.

“We need to try to help them somehow address whatever their criminal justice problem is, get them help if they need help, hold them accountable, but also try to end their involvement with the criminal justice system without giving them a record,” Woodall said.

@_rachel_bridges