Q&A with fraternity member, wing connoisseur Jalen Spruill on the best wings at UNC

This weekend, the fraternity members of Pi Lambda Phi, Kappa Sigma and Zeta Psi united for the first-ever Wing Fest, a fundraising event for Habitat for Humanity that featured a variety of wings as well as a wing-eating competition. Staff writer Hangzhang Connie Jin spoke with sophomore Pi Lambda Phi member and co-organizer Jalen Spruill about the event, why wings and what makes the best wings. 

The Daily Tar Heel: Can you give me a description of Wing Fest and how you’ve been involved in it?

Jalen Spruill: For Wing Fest, we were — Pi Lam was — one-third of it. And we were the Little Fraternity Court with Zete and Kappa Sig in order to put it together. The cause that we donated everything to was Habitat for Humanity, which helps people in need build houses and have an affordable home to live in, especially around here as well. We also had a wing-eating competition, where we got $60 donated from Wings Over as a gift card for us to give to the winner. Taran Casper was the one that won the wing-eating competition and we’re planning to have this event annually. 

DTH: Is this the first time you’ve had it?

JS: Yes, this is the first time we’ve had it. In the past we’ve had the Oyster Roast.

DTH: So why did you decide to focus on wings this time?

JS: I saw that everyone was more favorable to wings, and we also had a giant variety of beans, celery and carrots for those that don’t eat meat or anything as such.

DTH: Where did the wings come from?

JS: The wings came from our food ordering service from our chef.

DTH: What do you think makes the best wings? What’s your ideal wing?

JS: My ideal wing is a drumstick, with hopefully honey BBQ sauce all over it. That’s the best one.

DTH: So you’re a fan of the sweet kind of sauce?

JS: Oh yes, I am.

DTH: Do you have any favorite places to get them around here?

JS: I like to get them from Wings Over (Chapel Hill). That’s about it for right now. 

DTH: Do you have any wing recipes or anything like that?

JS: Oh no, I don’t. I usually buy them from a store, they’re already cooked.

DTH: If you made your own, what would go into it?

JS: Honey BBQ sauce, hopefully bone-in, bone-out — I don’t care. I really like wings.

DTH: If you had to make a recipe to describe your personality, what would it be?

JS: That’s a good question. I guess, some kind of sauce that’s a combination of sweet and spicy, I think.

DTH: Why?

JS: I guess because I’m a fun person that has a lot of — I don't know — just a fun and bubbly personality. Always have.

DTH: If you went on a date and cooked wings for a girl, what would it be?

JS: Definitely honey BBQ, and probably bone-out because I know some girls are uncomfortable with eating wings in front of a lot of people and especially on a date as well. I’m conscious about how I eat as well.

DTH: In line with that, was there more guy turnout at the event?

JS: Oh, no, there was actually more female turnout because a lot of them came to support the fraternities, as well as eat wings and donate to the great cause, Habitat for Humanity.

DTH: How much money did you guys raise?

JS: We raised a close number of $3,000.