Q&A with local political cartoonist, Keith Knight

Keith Knight is a nationally-syndicated political cartoonist and a resident of Chapel Hill. Following the introduction and eventual passing of House Bill 2, Knight released a cartoon that describes North Carolina as part of the "Hateful Eight," changing it to the "F*cked Up Four" following UNC's win over Notre Dame. Staff writer Madeline Rael spoke with Knight about his cartoon, his feelings on the bill and his inspiration for cartoons. 

The Daily Tar Heel: How does your art address the recently-passed House Bill 2 law? 

Keith Knight: I like to think that it takes current events and does sort of a mismatch of March Madness and the brackets and North Carolina’s advancing and the idea that North Carolina has, with passing this law, really sort of stepped out into the forefront of being the most moronic state in the Union.

DTH: Are you usually inspired by particular, catalytic political events, or do you tend to address issues that are more prevailing and long-term? Or both?

KK: I try to do national stuff, and I guess long-term stuff, mainly because my stuff is syndicated around the country, and I tend to specialize in race issues and rights issues, so whenever I see something that is, like, taking us back 40 years …

DTH: What is your artistic process? Once you have an idea, how do you go from there?

KK: I tend to sketch it out in a sketchpad. I tend to work in some of the local spots here — you can find me in Beer Study or over at the Looking Glass (Cafe) and also Caffe Driade. I sketch the stuff out and then I ink it. 

I’m still old-fashioned, I use pen and ink, and then I scan it and color it up in Photoshop. I have like nine deadlines a week so it’s just a crazy nightmare, because I do a nationally syndicated daily strip and then an auto-bio strip and then a weekly political strip. 

DTH: You’ve touched on this a bit, but what political themes do you like to cover with your art?

KK: It’s tons of different ones, but what I’m known for is a lot of my cartoons about race issues, and I do a slideshow on police brutality — my 25 years of police brutality cartoons — and I just did Chicago, and coming up I’m doing Pittsburgh in a week, and after that I’m doing Columbia, South Carolina and then I’m doing Los Angeles — UCLA. UNC should call me.

DTH: What made you decide you wanted to be a cartoonist?

KK: I guess it’s destiny. I mean, I’ve always drawn, and it was just going to happen. Yeah, it was sort of destiny — I always did little comics, I always did drawings in school. I contributed to my junior high newspaper, my high school newspaper, my college newspaper, so I really was not going to do anything else. 

That just sort of happened, and people are always saying like "How do you do it?" There is no one way to make it as a cartoonist now with the internet and the opportunities that are out there now. 

You don’t have to be a nationally-syndicated cartoonist to make it. All you need is 1,000 people to be into your stuff. One thousand out of 7 billion, it’s really possible to make a living.

DTH: What do you hope for viewers to get out of your art?

KK: In the best case scenario people will laugh, cause a lot of my stuff is about laughing. First they need to laugh, second they need to think.