Students begging for class cancellations after championship game get mixed results

“We’re not saying everybody’s going to go out and get drunk or go out and be crazy, but it is a good time for celebrating and a time that you are going to want to stay up all night on Franklin Street,” said Maryclaire Farrington, a student in STOR 155 who started a petition to have a Tuesday exam moved.

On Facebook, Overheard at UNC filled with petitions for teachers to change the dates of exams happening today.

Sophomore Brian Fields posted a petition to change his ASIA 357 exam because he was at the game in Houston and couldn’t possibly get back in time.

“It’s my dream to see the Tar Heels play in person, but I’ve also worked so hard like my whole life to have an awesome GPA,” Fields said.

Fields, who had made in-person requests for mercy before he left, said he got an email from his professor Monday afternoon explaining that he could take the test on Thursday.

Other students weren’t so lucky.

Farrington’s test was not moved despite the petition and numerous emails among her classmates, but she said she still loves her teacher and will be ready for the test.

“I’m definitely going to be drinking a lot of coffee tomorrow and probably running around Franklin Street with my notes in my hand,” she said.

First-year Becky Chen’s BIOL 201 lab has an exam today.

“Honestly, I’m not really sure how well this test is going to be knowing that we’re spending a lot of our time cheering on the Tar Heels,” she said.

Chen asked her teacher in person for the test to be moved, but she was denied.

“Her answer was that she’s confident that we will be able to study and cheer on the Tar Heels at the same time,” she said.

Journalism professor Paul O’Connor said he didn’t think students would be ready for class today, so he canceled both his 8 a.m. and his 9:30 a.m. classes.

“I’m a realist. I just know the kids aren’t going to be in any shape to come into class and participate,” he said.

O’Connor said he chose to cancel class no matter the outcome of Monday’s game because he remembers waking up the morning after a loss is sometimes harder than waking up after a win.

O’Connor said he looked to the future when making his decision about class.

“I’m sure that 20 years from now most of these kids won’t even remember my name, but they’ll remember tonight.”