UNC men's basketball return to overwhelming support

Coach Roy Williams waves at the crowd after UNC men's basketball returned from Houston on Tuesday.

Not 16 hours earlier, Villanova’s Kris Jenkins had brought North Carolina fans to their knees with a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to claim a 77-74 win in the NCAA Championship Game.

But here they were, still standing.

They came in droves on Tuesday, flooding the Smith Center gates with a sea of Carolina Blue. Some had waited hours. And when it was announced that the team buses would arrive later than expected, the fans simply stood in solidarity.

They were here to see their champions.

“Just because we lost doesn’t mean you don’t cheer for your team and welcome them home,” said Brenna Magliulo, who also attended the 2009 championship celebration.

When the Tar Heels finally arrived an hour later, they were showered with appreciation.

First off the bus was Roy Williams, appearing haggard even in a bright pink sweater. After limping past camera crews and signs of Final Four trophies, the UNC coach addressed the thousands of fans surrounding him.

“These guys gave us an unbelievable run ...” he said. “The last five weeks have been the most fun I’ve ever had as a college basketball coach.”

He struggled to stand — still recovering from two offseason knee surgeries — as the North Carolina contingent provided its support.

But pain seeped into his every word.

“It hurt everybody, it hurt all of you,” Williams said of the championship loss. “But it didn’t hurt any of you like it did these 16 guys.”

One by one, the team’s beloved seniors stood before their faithful fans for the final time.

Joel James, whose eccentric behavior earned him internet fame and fan favoritism. Brice Johnson, whose remarkable senior season ended what he called the best four years of his life.

And Marcus Paige, whose legendary status rose even with his final shot — a miracle 3-pointer that will live forever in North Carolina history.

“A little bit later, we’re going to be really proud about what we did,” Paige said. “And I hope you guys are proud of us.”

Within minutes, the team slipped into the arena and out of sight. The fans broke into a chorus of “Hark the Sound” before fleeing the site that had promised so much this season.

But it wasn’t over — not yet.

Moments later, Isaiah Hicks stood outside the Smith Center, holding his bags in one arm and a young child in the other.

After posing for a photo, he knelt down to sign the hat of Nicholas Magliulo — whose mother drove from Morrisville to show her support.

“I can’t believe it,” she said. “They’ve had a long haul and last night (was a) late night, and just to stop for kids — that’s amazing.”

Fifty feet away, Theo Pinson emerged from the arena, absent of his usual carefree demeanor. He stopped to sign autographs, pausing for selfies and small-talk with the crowd.

Before long, he and Hicks were gone. Only a few fans remained, corralled by yellow rope and pop-up barricades.

But there they stood, wide-eyed and weary, hoping to catch a glimpse of their heroes for one last time.

@CJacksonCowart