UNC ranks in top 10 among best public schools for African-Americans

More than 1,500 colleges were considered and ranked based on graduation rates, affordability, earnings potential and diversity, according to MONEY’s website.

Taffye Benson Clayton, associate vice chancellor for diversity and multicultural affairs, said the ranking is important for the University to continue to attract diverse students.

“As an instutition with a Southern history and a global footprint, it really shows we have moved from a legacy of exclusion to one of a reality of inclusion, and we’ve really improved the future for our campus,” Clayton said.

Clayton said the University is attempting to improve the campus climate and become more inclusive of African-American and other underrepresented students.

“This is an important thing for our campus to be recognized in this way, and yet we aspire to do even better,” Clayton said.

O.J. McGhee, chairperson of the Carolina Black Caucus, said the University’s current administration has done a good job of creating an inclusive campus.

“There are wonderful programs here at UNC that have already been established, and I think that is why we are in the top rankings for African-Americans,” McGhee said.

McGhee said the University provides opportunities for the engagement of African-American students.

“We have a very bright and talented student body — there are a lot of opportunities here,” McGhee said.

UNC ranked 22nd overall among national public and private institutions.

Clayton said faculty and staff at the University are working to become more diverse and inclusive.

On April 11, UNC launched a survey asking students and staff what they think about inclusion and diversity at the University.

“I think the work we’re already doing in terms of being very attentive to some of the concerns expressed by our students over the last year, in particular, are indications that we are listening, and we aspire to even greater success for underrepresented minority students,” Clayton said.

“We are pleased that we are now engaging students to be a part of the solution.”

According to the rankings, universities could only be considered for the list if African-Americans represented at least five percent of the students. At UNC, African-Americans make up eight percent of undergraduate students.

McGhee said the top-10 ranking is good for the University, but there is still progress to be made.

“While I think UNC is doing better than many of its counterparts, we here as Tar Heels, we don’t really accept being a bit better than other institutions — whether it’s in academics, athletics or service,” he said.

“As Tar Heels we strive to be a shining example, and trendsetters, be the model. In that regard we still have a long way to go.”