Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC softball wins back-and-forth game against Campbell

Wednesday evening brought both an exciting and emotional game at Anderson Softball Stadium. Coming off a series win on senior weekend, many members of the North Carolina softball team would play their final game at home against Campbell. 

The Tar Heels battled the Camels in a back-and-forth game that was not the prettiest, but the Tar Heels were happy to end up with a 9-6 win at the end of the night.

UNC (27-22) started out strong, posting two runs in the first inning. The first came from a single by sophomore Kendra Lynch, which brought home fellow sophomore Taylor Wike. The second run was scored by senior Kristen Brown, who was able to steal home after first-year Kiana Sherlund stole second. 

North Carolina would carry this momentum in the second inning, as an RBI single by Wike in the frame pushed the score to 3-0.

On the mound, Lynch struck out the lead-off batter in each of the first four innings on her way to a career night

The Camels (23-28) started their comeback attempt in the fourth inning, scoring twice to trim the UNC lead to one. The Tar Heels were resilient, however.

North Carolina immediately answered with two runs of its own in the bottom of the frame, extending its lead to 5-2.

Campbell struck back in the top of the fifth inning. They started their run with an RBI double, cutting the lead to two. Then Camel junior Amber Schisler hit a towering three-run home run to give the Camels their first lead of the day at 6-5.

But the Tar Heels came right back once again. First-year Berlynne Delamora, or "Steady Eddy" as she's known by her teammates, came through in the clutch for UNC, hitting a two-run home run in the bottom of the fifth inning that gave the Tar Heels the lead for good.

Quotable

“I think the last few weeks we’ve been more like the team I feel like we should be … the wins that we had this weekend and how we played, that’s definitely the team that I knew that we had, but we haven’t shown that consistently. Today we showed that there are different ways to win. It wasn’t as pretty as it was on Monday and Sunday (against Notre Dame), but we got the job done." — Coach Donna Papa on her team’s performance.

Notable

The Tar Heels rest at fifth in the ACC standings and are in position to play in the ACC Tournament.

Three numbers that matter

3: UNC committed three errors on the day.

12: Lynch struck out a career-high 12 batters Wednesday.

95: North Carolina now has 95 steals on the year, the most in one season in program history.

What’s Next?

The Tar Heels travel to Atlanta this weekend to face Georgia Tech in the final series of the regular season. Game 1 begins on Saturday at 6:30 p.m.

@YonaDagalosi