UNC's enforcement policy for House Bill 2 is still unclear

On Friday, top administrators including Chancellor Carol Folt sent a campuswide email saying UNC will uphold its policies. In the email, they said they have been asked how the University will “enforce” the bathroom provisions of the law.

“All that Carolina has worked hard to establish over the decades — policies including protections for sexual orientation and gender identity and fostering a culture of acceptance, respect for one another and human dignity above all else — remain a fundamental cornerstone of what our University aspires to be,” the email said.

Terri Phoenix, director of the UNC LGBTQ Center, said there is no process for handling complaints related to students using a particular bathroom.

“My understanding is that there is no procedure for enforcement, either in the bill or at the level of the University,” Phoenix said.

The University is upholding its non-discrimination policy, according to Friday’s email.

The University’s policy on non-discrimination says UNC is committed to providing a welcoming environment regardless of a person’s gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information and other factors.

Hilary Delbridge, spokesperson for the Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office, said the office oversees the University’s non-discrimination policy.

“House Bill 2 will not impact University policy on prohibited discrimination, harassment and related misconduct,” she said.

“If any member of our campus community feels they have experienced discrimination or harassment based on any protected status that’s stated in our policy, we encourage them to contact our office, and if they feel unsafe, they should call 911.”

Randy Young, spokesperson for the Department of Public Safety, said the DPS is working with administrators to make campus a welcoming environment.

“I think the important thing is that the University has been charged to do its best to comply with all of the laws in the state of North Carolina, the laws that govern us, but at the same time take critical steps to try and find discomfort and any distress within our University community,” Young said.

According to the email, the University is continuing to add gender-neutral single-stall bathrooms. There are currently 57 gender-nonspecific bathrooms.

Young said the email spoke to the University’s commitment to providing an environment of inclusiveness.

“As these things are stated, one of the priorities here is to make sure that we’re understood to be as welcoming and inclusive to all populations and the entire University community,” Young said.